Docsplainin' -- it's what I do

Docsplainin'--it's what I do.
After all, I'm a doc, aren't I?



Thursday, August 20, 2009

GlaxoSmithKline used ghostwriting to promote Paxil - The Boston Globe

Just a quick note, as, if I had any sense at all, I should already be in the car on the way to the office, not sitting here in my jammies blogging.

In a new article in the on-line version of the paper today, The Boston Globe adds GSK to the list of pharma con artists.

GlaxoSmithKline used ghostwriting to promote Paxil - The Boston Globe

The fact that five ghost-written articles were placed in at least two prestigious professional medical journals is significant. When you perform a literature search on a medication, you would typically get a handful of review articles. If five out of that handful are bogus, that is going to significantly slant your view of the medication. Add to that the fact that most physicians do not do lit searches but rely on articles handed to them by the reps, and you have trouble.

In and of itself this is no indictment of the drug. But it does mean that your physician may not have had all the facts when she prescribed this medication for you.

Posted using ShareThis

1 comment:

Virginia S. Wood, Psy.D., Instructor said...

I had an anonymous commenter offer direct links to the CASPPER docs online. Unfortunately, the links went to a blog which, also unfortunately, is extremely slow to load because of its huge pop-up ads.

So I deleted hir comment about 10 sec. after publishing it.

When I can find direct links to the docs I will post them here for you.

-the Management

ShareThis