Docsplainin' -- it's what I do

Docsplainin'--it's what I do.
After all, I'm a doc, aren't I?



Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Whoops!

Glaring headline in today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution: Blue Cross/Blue Shield accidentally let go of about 202,000 pieces of people's private medical information... in the mail. To other patients. They blame the computer. It's not the computer, though, that will be paying the HIPAA fines (about $200 million, if I understand correctly). And it's not the computer that will pay for the overtime and postage involved in letting every single one of these patients know what happened. And it's not the computer that will pay for the free credit monitoring for the "small percentage" of patients whose violated privacy included, inexplicably, their Social Security numbers. Whoops!

No comments:

ShareThis