Docsplainin' -- it's what I do

Docsplainin'--it's what I do.
After all, I'm a doc, aren't I?



Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Focus



I'm reading Scott Hamilton's Landing It and Lance Armstrong's It's Not About the Bike and thinking a lot about focus. And about how easy it is to lose focus.

Specifically, about how easy it is to lose focus on what is important in the private practice of psychology. It's too easy to get bogged down in the running of the business, and to forget that the reason that I am really here is to give this one person sitting across from me the best hour right now that I possibly can.

The bigger goal is to be the best psychologist that I can be, which means reading and studying between sessions, too. That's my version of Armstrong's workouts before the big race.

Maintaining focus is harder than it used to be. Sometimes it feels like the business end has taken over: Managed care, insurance billing, file-keeping requirements, employment taxes... the list goes on.

So I have to remember: "It's not about the bike."

No comments:

ShareThis