Docsplainin' -- it's what I do

Docsplainin'--it's what I do.
After all, I'm a doc, aren't I?



Monday, April 6, 2009

In case you doubted that animals have personalities

Friday night, when I started getting sick, my dog Io started sticking pretty close to my side. By the time we decided I needed to go to the ER, she was curled up on the foot of the bed watching me closely and sniffing at me with what I swear was a concerned look on her face.

My husband had taken migraine meds before bed so he could not drive me, plus I was so sick I was going to need help getting to the car, so we called our neighbor Russell to come help. Io wouldn't let him in the bedroom: She stood on the foot of the bed and barked and growled, effectively holding him at the bedroom door. This is particularly remarkable in light of the fact that Russell is her babysitter when my husband and I are away.

What makes this interesting to me is that she was already two years old when we got her, and we've only had her about four months. By comparison, her predecessor, Rosie, was born into my waiting hands. I towelled her off and gave her back to her mama to lick and nurse. I took great pains to build a one-on-one relationship with her when she was tiny, but despite the fact that I adored her and she me (to the extent that she would not eat if we were separated from each other), she never seemed to take any particular notice when I was sick or upset. Io is a far more sensitive dog in that regard.

Interesting.

2 comments:

Dan Felstead said...

My dog is my best friend as well! Are you OK?

Dan

Barbara Kivowitz said...

There's nothing like the love of a good dog.

ShareThis