Docsplainin' -- it's what I do

Docsplainin'--it's what I do.
After all, I'm a doc, aren't I?



Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans' Day

For those of you who like to write but are occasionally stumped for a topic, check out The One Minute Writer. Today's prompt, appropriately enough, is "write about a war veteran you have known of, or known personally."

The first vet I ever knew was my Mom's Dad, whom we called Boppa. He was in the infantry in World War I. I don't know much about his service, because he had a repertoire of three funny stories and that's all he would ever say on the subject. My father-in-law was in the Navy (Pacific) in World War II and was reportedly much damaged by the experience.

One of the best clinical supervisors I ever had served two tours in the infantry in Viet Nam before he went to medical school. As a therapist, it has been my honor to work with veterans as well as active duty personnel and military families. Some have seen combat, others have not, Some were officers, others grunts or noncoms.

Today, and every day, I would like to thank them all for their service.

No comments:

ShareThis